| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Dokkio Sidebar (from the makers of PBworks) is a Chrome extension that eliminates the need for endless browser tabs. You can search all your online stuff without any extra effort. And Sidebar was #1 on Product Hunt! Check out what people are saying by clicking here.

View
 

9 February project meeting

Page history last edited by Anna Gruszczynska 10 years, 6 months ago

Frontpage   Project meetings      Partner schools


This page will pull together information on 9 February project meeting which will help the teachers from participating schools develop the case studies. During January, the team will use this page to prepare for the meeting.

 

 

Title  Content description  File type  Date added
Mapping the schools Our ideas for developing a matrix of themes and issues emerging from the school visits in January pbwiki page 1 Feb 2012
Planning meeting  Agenda for the 3rd February planning meeting (12:00, Unit 6, Science Park)  pbwiki page  1 Feb 2012 
Anna's notes on the day Anna's notes from the day (headlines) pbwiki page 9 Feb 2012
Notes from morning session - short Notes from the session focusing on teachers' plans for case studies - condensed version  doc 14 Feb 2012
Notes from morning session - full Notes from the session focusing on teachers' plans for case studies - full version  doc 14 Feb 2012
Notes from the session on ethics Notes from discussion focusing on ethical issues in the context of the project doc 14 Feb 2012
Notes from the plenary Notes from the plenary in the morning/afternoon - understandings of DL doc 
16 Feb 2012 
Feedback from evaluator Feedback from Julia Gillen on the closing session/issues raised on the day doc 14 Feb 2012
Updated mapping of schools Mapping on the basis of feedback from the teachers doc 14 Feb 2012

 

 

Draft agenda for 9 Feb meeting

(the venue will be the Crucible55 Norfolk St, S1 1DA).  Register for the event can be found here.

 

 

Time

Activity

Who leads on which activity?

Comments

9:45 arrival 

Teas and coffees (for a 10:00 start)

 

 

10:00-10:30

Project update

AG

 

10:30-11:15

Space to talk about case studies

JD

We have developed proformas for teachers to help manage the presentations

11:15-11:30

Coffee break

 

 

11:15-12:30

Space to talk about case studies

JD

 

12:30-13:30

Lunch

 

 

13:30-14:00

Presentation from Richard Johnson

AG

Richard will mention the "project voices" installation, this might help the discussions re: dissemination plans

14:00-14:45

Project issues: the role of researchers in the project (CB) ; using data emerging from the project (CB), ethical issues (JD)

CB/ JD

JD, CB, GM and JM will have a symposium on DeFT at UKLA, CB will talk to teachers re: perhaps becoming involved in that aspect of the project?

discussion on ways in which teachers may want to use data emerging from the project for their own writing

     

 

14:45-15:00

Break

 

 

15:00-15:30

Next steps for the project

Overview of the day

AG

Summary of the morning activities; "swap shop" for sharing resources/dissemination activities etc.

15:30-16:00

Closing plenary - feedback from the teachers

 

Julia Gillen will join us for half an hour

 

 

Julia Myers can be there between 10:00-12:00

Sarah Butler can be there between 10:00-11:00

 

questions for teachers

  • Could you provide a brief description of the case study, including your and your pupils' context - age, stage, curriculum area, resources you have access to/ resources you need
  • What would you like to learn from other teachers/partners involved in the project? what can you offer to others?
  • What has been most rewarding/challenging so far in putting together the case study?
  • What is on your wish list – that is, what are the things you would like to incorporate into your case study if you had unlimited resources and time?
  • What are your dissemination plans (each of the schools has been allocated £1000 to disseminate the outcomes of their participation in the project)?
  • Do you foresee any challenges related to e-safeguarding in the context of your case study?

 

 

Following on from my thoughts yesterday, I’ve been thinking about how this OER can offer something  distinctive in relation to supporting teachers/teacher educators/student-teachers in thinking about digital literacies...

For me, as a teacher educator, I’m looking for frameworks or perspectives that are going to encourage my students to think beyond existing curriculum frameworks and think differently about pedagogical possibilities.

So, I wondered if it might be useful to draw out the themes that seemed to cut across the case studies. Here are some themes- not intended as comprehensive. I’ve used examples to illustrate but they cut across all.

-          identities: how are we positioned in educational contexts, who are we & how do we relate to others...and who might we be and how might we relate with others , e.g. Jacks’ work , Jo’s instructional videos

-          communities and/or networks: what kinds of connections and relationships do we make? e.g. communities of teachers at Mundella & Wales; Chris’s attempts to use blogging to develop relationships across classes and between home and school; Jo’s instructional videos

-          locations: how do we make/change places and how does our relationship with places shift through engagement with new technologies? e.g.Rob’s work in the park, the Magna project, Chris & Camp Cardboard, Peter’s jungle hunt

-          purposes: what are teachers’ purposes? And children’s? And other partners’, e.g. the museum? What happens as these different purposes intersect? (How) did these purposes change?

Could such themes  help provide some structure to the case studies...or to the OER? Or at least help us think about the data we may need to capture depth in the case studies as well as breadth?

Of course there are other dimensions of each case study that are important too, i.e. things we discussed  yesterday, around:

-          context (curriculum as well as local factors)

-          journeys- where have they come from, how did they get here, where are they going next

-          getting stuff done (all the tecchie stuff as well as working with colleagues, dealing with the local and national policy context)

 

 

Comments (2)

Julia Davies said

at 7:09 pm on Feb 3, 2012

Thanks for sharing this Anna. I am wondering if you would mind saying who would lead on which part of the meeting? I am thinking especially of the 10.00 - 10.30 slot; the 14.00 - 14.45 one and 15.00 - 16.00 .

I think these need careful preparation and if , fr example, I was needed to lead on one of these, I would want to kno in advance so I could think it through beforehand.
Something Cathy raised at our afternoon tea in December was the issue oer writing for research purposes and ownership of data etc etc. I wondered if this need to be discussed in this kind of forum.

Anna Gruszczynska said

at 4:02 pm on Feb 6, 2012

Hi Julia,

that is a very good point - will email an amended agenda later this afternoon with this info added. I will also forward to people the communication we sent out to teachers.

You don't have permission to comment on this page.